Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Holier Than Thou Appetite

I am so incredible pissed right now at what just happened. Previously, I've heard my roommate M talk about how she likes stroganoff, so when I came out into the kitchen just now, I brought one of those Hamburger Helper Complete Meals out with me, which happened to be stroganoff. I jokingly said, "Be jealous, I have stroganoff" and her response was to give me a grimace and laugh at me for even thinking that she could be jealous of a "boxed meal". Apparently, she and her mom have a running joke about going to the store and laughing about the possibility of having something like Hamburger Helper for dinner. She then proceeds to tell me that I'll get botchalism from the canned sauce (which has meat in it) because "meat is not supposed to be in a can. It's just not natural!"

As a side note, I should mention that she's very finicky about the meat she eats and will only eat meat that is butchered by her dad because he cuts it the way she likes it and takes out all the things she doesn't like. Last week she made three chicken breasts and only ate a third of one because it had a vein in it. She threw the rest out.

So anyway, after she basically ridiculed me for eating this "boxed meal", she took all of her stuff and locked herself away in her room.

Here's my problem: I was taught to eat what was in front of me and to be thankful to even have food and not to complain if it wasn't the best or most expensive thing out there. If it fills up your stomach, be GRATEFUL to have it. Not everyone has parents who can afford to give them 50 lbs. of specially butchered meat every time they go home, and I really didn't appreciate the notion that I did but had decided to eat something so "disgusting" in her eyes. I'm sorry if MY food isn't good enough for your "holier than thou appetite", but some people have to work hard for the money they get (this being my Mom) and they have to stretch every penny to make things work. I'm a college student who depends on my Mom for my soul income when she can barely make ends meet with just her. I have to make do with what I'm given, and if that's not good enough, then FUCK YOU!

2 comments:

Roxanne Ocasio said...

Jeez, what a princess!! It's college, people eat a ton of boxed food! We had almost all boxed meals when I lived at CSU. Krickett would bring back fresh meat and not eat it! She sounds like an uptight jerk.

Sam's Rose Garden said...

Tell me about it!!! I was like, wow. Who made you queen of the kitchen?? This is college. What the hell else does she expect me to eat? There's only so much I can afford, and there's no sense in making a whole huge meal that's only for me. I've just decided that she can kiss my ass for all I care.