Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Introduction

Well Hello Internet World!

This is my first attempt ever at a blog, and I have to admit, I was inspired by my wonderful friend Roxie. It seems like such a good way to just collect your ideas and vent when you think no one really wants to listen!

I guess to start off, I should tell you a little about myself to establish a background. I'm a 21 (woohoo!!) year old WOMAN (Oh yes, W-O-M-A-N!) from the wonderful, beautiful, glorious, and understated state of Ohio!! I know, you're thinking, how on Earth can anything exciting be going on there with all the farm land and impoverished cities? Trust me, it's possible! I know the ends of both ways of life, and I really have to say that I prefer life in the country any day!! Being in the city is just too crouded, too noisy, and too much of a hassel for me. I guess it just seems more peaceful to me in the country where if you're steamed about something, you can just jump in your car and drive for 20-30 miles without running into anything but farm land and scenery. It's good for the soul, and I think anyone who has a problem with being in the country, probably doesn't like it because they can't deal with being with themselves for that long of a period of time without having something to do, somewhere to go, or someone to see.

My major at school is Forensic Psychology, which means that I probably should get over my aversion to city life, but my real deep-down passion is writing. I wouldn't have started this blog if it wasn't!! I find it therapeutic in a way; to just sit somewhere and organize my thoughts out in words helps me think and helps my mind shut up for a little while! So, if writing is my passion, why am I going to school for Forensic Psychology?? Well, I plan to write psychological thrillers/horrors (the horror part is really the label that publishing companies put on it, but I don't really like that title). My Forensic Psychology degree with help me for one, know what the hell I'm talking about, and two, give me something to fall back on if, after all, people think I'm not so great at the whole writing thing. I wrote my first piece of fiction when I was about 11 and showed it to my Mom who thought that I had pirated it from somewhere off the internet. Thanks, Mom. After a little convincing, she finally got that I actually thought of this story (which had something to do with a haunted house if I recall correctly), and ever since then she has been my biggest supporter (with everything actually, not only writing). My first book started when I was about 13-14, and I didn't end up finishing it until I was about 19. Wow. I guess it's really a good thing that it took me so long to finish since I was in school (which, obviously I still am...), and it felt like the hugest weight lifted off my shoulders when I finally did finish it. I had actually accomplished something at the age of 19 that most people in their lives will never do. I really was amazed at myself. Now, being 21, I am in the midst of my second book (which, in my opinion, is far better than the first, which I doubt I would ever try and have published). Everyone who has read what I have written (to date, I'm on Chapter 21 to be exact [which is 37,782 words]) has told me that it's bound to be a smashing success, but really I always have that little voice in the back of my mind that says "but they're just family and friends who are biased and would tell me it was good no matter what". I know that I will go back and read through it though and become astonished because I can't believe such great description and story telling has come from me. It's a very strange experience.

Besides my personal career goals, I just hope to be a good person, a good Christian, and somehow become someone important enough for people to remember.

2 comments:

Roxanne Ocasio said...

Yay for Sam's blog!! I feel awesome knowing I inspired this, haha. It is a super way for us writer-types to vent and keep people updated on our lives, especially with college and stuff going on. Also, woot for supportive moms!! I started writing when I was 5 and my mom once told me, "I always thought you should be a writer." So here we are, haha. :)

Sam's Rose Garden said...

Yes, you totally did. And, it is a nice way to vent about nothing at all! I love my mom, lol. She's amazing.